Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Where did July go?!

I have been SO busy stitching lately, but I can show you very little I'm afraid, it's nearly all exchange stitching! It's been a mixture of Halloween and Christmas stitching. I really enjoy Halloween stitching, I think I may do a Halloween display this year, although it's not a very 'English' thing to do - we have yet to catch up with our American neighbours (it's only a little ocean that separates us!) on Halloween mania! When I worked in the States (15 years gone, was it really that long ago?!) I was flabbergasted at the effort people went to, to decorate their homes on Halloween. We're starting to come round to the idea here, it's such a fun holiday for children AND adults.

I've also made a few purchases. Wimblebees are having a closing down sale, 50% discount on all stock, so I treated myself to Lavender & Lace 'Emma's Garden' which I've admired for a long time. I also purchased a few of pieces of linen. I chose Ivory, Amsterdam Blue and Flax Belfast linen. I'm really pleased with the colours - particularly the Amsterdam Blue, it's such a beautiful colour. This is to stitch 'Emma's Garden'. You actually have to bleach one half of the linen for the top part of the design. I'm extremely worried about doing this. Has anybody done this before? I know I got a bargain with 50% discount but I really don't want to ruin the linen!



I've just finished a pin keep for my friend Becca who had a little boy a few weeks ago. She's a friend I made when DH and I took NCT (National Childbirth Trust) classes before the birth of DD. I had to drag DH to them as he was of the opinion 'the less we know, the better it will be' whereas I needed to know every possible eventuality - no matter how gory! Anyway, it was a really good group of people and we've all kept in touch, meeting up several times a week. It has been a God-send for me, considering most of my friends and family are 300 miles away! Ironically, two of the ladies are from the North East of England too. Several members of our group have, or are expecting, baby number two. I'm going to be doing lots of baby projects in the next six months or so!

I used a chart I have from The Historical Sampler Company for the pin keep. It is taken from a much bigger chart for a baby girl (shown below) but I played around with the colours and designs a bit and am pleased with the result! Btw - I did seek permission from The historical Sampler Company to use a photo from their website - I'm so paranoid about copyright. That's all I need at the mo - to be dragged to court for copyright infringement! Fortunately, they were happy for me to do so.


Sugar & Spice Birth Sampler
The Historical Sampler Company





All wrapped up and ready to go!


Not long 'til the weekend now, in fact not long 'til the end of the month. Can somebody tell me where July went? Am I old if I say 'the months are flying by'?!

Regards,

Christina

9 comments:

  1. Where is July, indeed! I LOVE Hallowe'en for the colors which I think are so suited to needle and thread. I SO want to see what you've stitched for it!

    Bleaching!? I don't know about that, I don't think I'd do it 'cause bleach is such a violent stuff. I guess one would have to rinse and rinse.

    That's a cute little pinkeep. Regarding copyright I just put up whatever I want and credit with links (where possible). Anyone who has a problem with that is a little nutty imho, but I would certainly take it down should a problem arise. Basically, this is a not-for-profit blog, so if anything they should be paying you for talking them up. ;) Word-of-mouth is known to be the best advertising, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you got a good haul at Wimblebees. I love Emma's Garden...I've been wanting to stitch it the last year. Great gift for a young girl! I don't know about the bleaching either...are there directions on the pattern?

    Love the pinkeep! These are wonderful designs by The Historical Sampler Company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right Berit, I should be demanding commission from any orders placed here on in! Halloween photos will follow soon - I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet pinkeep! Lovely stitching and finishing. :)

    I had to drag my husband to childbirth classes as well. Roll eyes here. He hated every second of it! If he was about to have a miniature human being come shooting from his loins, and someone who had done it before was willing to give him pointers on how to make it happen in the least painful way, I think he would have been more receptive, don't you think?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the bleached fabric, it looks really neat in the picture. I'd be a little afraid to do it too!

    Sweet pinkeep! I like the way you personalized it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the little pinkeep, it turned out great!

    I think you were right to ask first, not so much because of copyright, but more out of courtesy, since you're using someone else's picture. With the internet, people tend to think that whatever is online is fair game to use however they like and if the person whose image has been used doesn't like it, then they're at fault. Sorry, just a bit of a sore point with me - I'll get off my soapbox now ;)

    You were asking about walnut shells for stuffing - Natalie replied to your comment directly on my blog, but I don't use the walnut shells, as I don't think they're available over here. I've had DH check at the pet superstores and they just gave him an odd look LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely little pinkeep!

    Nice purchases from Wimblebees! I bought some 32 count linen and evenweave as I didn't have any left and it was too good to miss :)

    I am wondering where July went too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, I don't know where July has gone too!

    Nice purchases from Wimblebees and I love your little pinkeep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time is definitely flying by !!
    Your work looks lovely

    ReplyDelete