Monday, 9 August 2010

Blackbird Exchange

Hooray - I can show photos of my Blackbird Exchange as the recipient - Irene - has now received it. I'm so pleased that Irene likes it, she sent me such a lovely email to thank me. I had to chuckle when Patti sent me Irene's address, she lives a stones throw from where I was born! In fact, I was visiting my family this weekend when I posted the exchange. I really should have delivered it personally - it's so close!
When I joined up to the Blackbird Exchange group I didn't own a single BBD chart so I had to think on my feet! I trawled Google for free BBD designs and found 'Thistle Manor'. I couldn't believe it was a freebie. I stitched it using a variegated Anchor thread (don't know the number as DD pulled it off and chewed it!) and I love how it turned out. This is the first time I've used a ruched ribbon finish and it took me blooming ages to do! Thank you to Sally who pointed me in the direction of Su's Blog - she has a fantastic tutorial.


Blackbird Designs 'Thistle Manor' (freebie)
32ct Antique Ivory Linen


I can't wait for round 6 - I can use a chart from my new BBD stash!

I can also share another finish. This is a Mirabilia design that I stitched when I was pregnant with my DD. I've only just got around to having it framed. I loved stitching the lady, the alphabet and the butterflies, but the top part of the design was horrid, and of course I'd left that part 'til last to stitch! This was in the days BL (before linen!) and I stitched it on a piece of Aida that I'd had in my stash forever. If you supersize the image, please excuse the reflection of me in my PJs!


Mirabilia 'Le Nouveau Sampler'
16 count Sage Aida


Finally, I couldn't resist showing my new change bag. I've lusted after this particular bag for months and months and would you believe, it went into the sale on the Pink Lining website - yippee! These bags are 'must haves' in yummy mummy circles! It has its own change mat, bottle bag, wet clothes bag and enough room for the million-and-one-other-things I have to take when we go out! And the best thing of all? It's WIPE-ABLE!!! I'm so easily pleased since becoming a mother...



Regards,

Christina

10 comments:

  1. Hi Christina--just discovered your blog! Love what you did with the BBD freebie--especially the ribbon edging! It is so pretty!

    And what a lovely lot of BBD charts you were able to purchase--you must be thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina: The work you did on the Blackbird Design is positively beautiful, I love the colors, the Le Nouveau pattern is one I have never seen before it is lovely , sometimes aida cloth works very well.
    The bag is something looks like you could put everything into it.
    Happy stitching.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous ornament and you've done a stunning job with the finishing! Congrats on your beautifully framed Mirabilia and that darling bag, hurray for sales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful BBD ornie! Great job with the ruching! Love the Mira as well. I haven't seen that one stitched up very often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your BBD is gorgeous Christina, fab job on the ruching. I;ve never seen that Mirabilia before, your finish is beautiful.
    How cute is that bag...I think it would also be great to hold your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful BBD finish and your Mirabilia is very pretty, I dont think I would have had the patience to have finished that. Well done!
    LISA V

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what a loevly exchnage piece you stitched and finished for Irene. I love ruched edges but have never tried one myself although I have already read several tutorials. I must try it out one of these days.
    The Mirabilia piece is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your BBD exchange piece is gorgeous! You did a fantastic of the ruched ribbon edging. So glad I could help out with the link to Su's tutorial.

    The Mirabilia piece is lovely.

    Love your new bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you did with the BBD freebie. What a cute design! Your framed Mirabilia is beautiful. That bag looks great - congrats on finding it on sale!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post! I can't imagine the work on that Mira! 0_o

    Congrats on making such a nice exchange and also your new "must-have". :D

    ReplyDelete