Saturday, 19 July 2014

Birthday Fun and a Disappointing Snowman


Last week we celebrated Iris's 6th birthday. The celebrations seemed to last all week, culminating in a birthday party for school friends on Sunday. I was exhausted by Sunday evening but Iris had a fabulous week so it was worth all of the hard work. She received such lovely presents but as this is a crafting blog I thought I would show a handmade present from my friend Megan. Meet Tilly the Tortoise!

 
Isn't she adorable? Megan and I get together every now and again for craft evenings. It is during these evenings that Megan has introduced me to the wonderful world of felt. And I'm hooked! Below is an owl I made for Iris's birthday. She loved it!
 


I don't think I posted a photo of the ornament I made for the Birthday Girl last year. She was going through a Hello Kitty phase. Unfortunately it's not a great photo. It's a much stronger purple in reality and the yellow nose has almost disappeared here!


                                                             ******************

Party bags seem to be a big deal these days so I wanted to make Iris's extra special. Her school friends are all dotty about the latest craze sweeping the nation - loom bands. So Iris and I made a bracelet for each of her guests.



 And finally, I have a snowman finish to share. Unfortunately, as my title suggests, I'm very disappointed with it. It's a lovely design but I stitched it on too light a fabric. So I will definitely be re-stitching - perhaps on a grey or blue. The chart is a freebie that can be found here.

 
 
Until next time!
 
Regards,
 
Christina

13 comments:

  1. Hi Christina: Re your snowman: Maybe you could just outline him in black backstitch to make him stand out a bit more. It's a sweet little pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Christina , such pretty hand made gifts, hope your little one had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowman is cute but I too have a different snowman that I once stitched and had the same problem. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet post with wonderful creations!! I agree with your snowman, it would definitely look fantastic on a darker fabric :) Have a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful little gifts for Iris. How sweet that you two made all those loom bands.
    That is too bad about the little snow man. I would try backstitching him in grey or black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely gifts Christina,. Glad she had a nice day. Where does time go. I was thinking the same as the others outline in him dark grey he will look good xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Iris had a fun birthday week. I'm with everyone else, a bit of backstitch to outline him would be great. Maybe a grey but not too dark?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Iris! Those are some lovely goodies. Hope she had a great time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday to Iris! Sounds like a fun party.
    I'm going to agree with everyone and suggest backstitching in a darker colour. Might as well give a good shot at salvaging it before restarting, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hardly believe Iris is six already, Christina--I still think of her as that adorable baby you're carrying in your arms in your sidebar. Love the Hello Kitty you made for her. The owl and Megan's turtle are so sweet, too. I'm sure the girls were all thrilled with those pretty loom bands, too :)

    Oh, it is so hard to get white to stand out, isn't it? I just stitched a snowy scene on dark blue and it looks great... Good luck with your decision about whether to start over or try the backstitching :) Thanks for the link to the cute chart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't believe Iris is 6 already. The tortoise and owl are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This little snowman is so sweet, I think I would backstitch it with some grey thread, I think a light grey would do the trick. I'm very curious to see what you come up with.

    These felt gifts for Iris are so cute, I'm sure she was delighted with them. When I read about Iris' birthday party I had to think back of the times when my children were still little and had their birthday parties. Each time it was wonderful to see all the kids enjoying the feast so much, and I was enjoying it as well, but I was like dead afterwards, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful finishes Christina.

    Wow I can't believe Iris is 6! Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete