Tuesday, 7 August 2012

A Little Bit of This and That

Wow, already a quarter of the way through August. I just can't believe how quickly this year is going. Unfortunately I am not getting much stitching time at the moment. Iris is on summer holiday until Sept 5th so when Isaac naps during the day, I am entertaining Iris instead of stitching. Hopefully normal service will resume from September onwards!

I have a few things to show. One of my best friend's sister had a baby boy back in May, so I stitched a little ornie for her. She emailed me to let me know how thrilled she was with it. She had put a few photos of little Vincent on Facebook and I could see my ornie hanging up in the background so I was really chuffed! :0)





I haven't shared photos of my progress on 'Santa's List' recently as, to be honest I'm a little embarrassed about how little I've done. I'm not enjoying stitching it at all but I'll plod on until it's finished. This is the progress as of this morning.



In other crafting news...I've been keeping my mum busy knitting. A former colleague had a baby girl on Saturday so I asked my mum to knit a replica of the blanket she'd knitted for me 30 something years ago! (yes, I still have it!). Unfortunately my mum couldn't find her original pattern, but it turns out that this pattern is a bit of a classic and has been reproduced many times over the years. I was able to source a new version of the chart on ebay. It's not obvious from the photograph - the blanket is a soft lilac. Isn't it lovely? I hope my friend likes it.


Sirdar Baby Leaf Blanket
Sirdar Whispers Bamboo Yarn #196


My friend's little girl turned 6 last month so I made her some bunting to hang up at her party. I'm pleased to say, she liked it so much it is now a permanent fixture in her play room. :0)



And finally, in my last post I promised some photos of Iris's 4th birthday celebrations. Here is the birthday girl...



and here is her birthday cake...



The conversation about the cake went along these lines "Mam, I've seen a fabulous cake on the internet - please can you make it for Iris's birthday?!" Didn't she do well? I'm so proud to have such a talented mother. I don't think there's anything that she can't turn her hand to (although she says that she isn't a big fan of crochet - but she can still do it!!)

Well, better leave it there. Hopefully next time I will have a lot more stitching to show.

Regards,

Christina

13 comments:

  1. Iris: Happy Birthday to you, what a lovely cake you have.
    I love your little ornie for Vincent it is adorable, that crochet blanket is beautiful, how lucky you are to have a mother to do this for you.
    The banner for Lottie is so sweet and so gentle looking.
    I am in the same boat as you Christina, I have a santa project that I will post pictures of maybe tomorrow mor fri.
    It has gotten to the point that I just want to toss it but will not, of course.

    Hugs sent your way.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iris had such a pretty cake, I'm sure she loved it. Happy Belated Birthday wishes from Australia.
    Santa will look amazing when he's finally done, but he sure does look like alot of work.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... Miss Iris is such a precious little girl--how lucky she is to have both a creative mother and grandmother!! I just love her cake--your mom really is talented in many ways, Christina!!

    Love your Santa--I know it is a ton of work, but I'm sure it will be a true family heirloom when finished... Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little girl is so beautiful!! Happy Birthday Iris.
    Your mum sure is talented, it must run in the family! I have a blanket just like that that my Gran made when Caleb was born

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your family is a talented bunch! That cake looks amazing. Happy Birthday Iris! She is beautiful.
    Great stitching. Hopefully your schedule will even out and you will find some more stitching time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Iris is very beautiful. Santa looks fabulous. You just cannot stop. You have made such thoughtful gifts for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iris is beautiful! the cake is amazing and the stitching looks fantastic, please don't give up on Santa, it will be wonderful when it's done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iris is a gorgeous girl. Love her cake and the blanket your mum made - very talented. Your santa is looking beautiful keep going. A lovely gift for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Christina, what a lovely little girl you have. I send her some some belated birthday wishes. I'm sure that everyone - not only Iris - loved that wonderful birthday cake your mother made. You can actually see how delicious it must have been.
    It's s a pity that you don't like stitching on your Santa project. But I can understand it, I also had projects in the past (only a few) where I didn't love the stitching process, just the result. I'm sure you'll love that Santa once he's done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great catch up post! But oh, that picture of Iris ~ she is beautiful!! And her cake looks mighty yummy! Please give her my Happy Birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to see an update from you Christina! The ornie announcement you made for baby Vincent is lovely and so is the bunting for Lottie! I'm so sorry you aren't enjoying stitching on Santas List. Just imagine the relief and joy you'll feel when you finish! Wow, your mom is amazing! The baby blanket and cake are amazing! I wish my mom would make me wonderful crafty things! Happy birthday to Iris! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Christina - Iris is so pretty. Love your bunting (mine is still up in the conservatory and I won't be taking it down it looks wonderful). Love the cake also. I have a blanket knitted by a relative when my first son was born which is so similar to that one xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your mom is talented - what a gorgeous cake she made for Irish, and I *love* the baby blanket - very pretty!

    The ornament you stitched for your friend is lovely!

    Iris is a little sweetie!

    ReplyDelete