Thursday, 1 March 2012

BAP Progress & a Bit of 'This & That'!

Pinch and a punch for the first of the month! Seriously, can you believe it's March already?? Is it a sign of old age when the days/months/years whizz by? I hope not.
Time for a BAP update. When I first posted my intention to stitch 'Santa's List' as my BAP, I heard gasps being drawn around Blogland! 'I wonder why?' I thought to myself?? Yes, it's on the large side, but it all seems pretty straight forward...Oh dear. If only I'd known. Would I have ploughed ahead with it? I'm not so sure! The chart is littered with half stitch, quarter stitch (I'm not even sure I know how to tackle quarter stitch!) and worst of all, back stitch - yuck. What doesn't help is the key. (what's that saying? A good stitcher never blames her tools?!) But, in my defense, have a look at the key here;



Take a look at the symbols for 498 and 3328. Practically the same, right? Well, that's what I thought and so I ended up with salmon coloured holly berries. :0( Not good. And also (but this isn't visible on the photo here) the symbol for 964 Aqua and 321 Christmas red are EXACTLY the same! Good job I checked that one! However, whining aside, below is my progress on 'Santa's List' as of this morning (minus the frogged berries!)



I also managed to finish Bent Creek's 'Uber Jack'. Well, I thought I had. I've just noticed on closer inspection of the photograph that the cat seems to be eye-less. Oops.


Uber Jack' by Bent Creek
32ct Natural Permin Linen


In other non-stitchy news, we had a lovely few days down in London last weekend. We attended the Christening of my friend's little girl on Saturday. I was very honoured to take the role of Godmother (or Fairy Godmother as Iris kept telling people). It was a nice service delivered by a very chilled-out, child-friendly priest. Celebrations afterwards were at a lovely local pub, where we spent much of the afternoon in the garden...in February? Go figure, there'll be snow in July next! Below are the favours that we nibbled on after lunch, although they were almost too good to eat!



Saturday evening saw me baking furiously for a friend's 30th birthday. We were staying at my Mother-in-Law's house for the weekend and she insisted on watching me as I baked! She was very good and just left me to my own devices. Below is the fruit of my labour. I'm pleased to say that my friend liked the cakes, but loved the cake tins - that I put them in - more!



I'd better leave it there, it's getting very late and no doubt my two 'alarm clocks' will be ringing bright and early in the morning. ;0)

Regards,

Christina

21 comments:

  1. I'm sure if you persist with the BAP you will get more used to the symbols. It's going so well! I love the cupcakes also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeesh, those symbols are really, really close to each other! I can understand why you made a mistake but your BAP is looking gorgeous! It looks like you've gotten a lot done. Love UberJack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Santa is coming along nicely in spite of all the little PITA things. Keep at it Christina Your getting there!
    Love your Uber Jack and your cupcakes look pretty & delicious!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine keeping all those symbols straight! Your progress is beautiful! Über Jack is cute!
    Your cakes look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Santa is coming along lovely despite all the challenges with the symbols. Love the christening favour. Your cakes look gorgeous as do the tins. Love your halloween finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness all those symbols. I love your Halloween finish x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can well imagine how frustrating those close colours are. It certainly is a BAP but it's coming along well. Cute Halloween piece! What sweet favours for the christening and your baking and tins are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The BAP is looking wonderful! That is very vexing about the symbols. UGH! I love Uber Jack.
    I think you will probably be a wonderful godmother, so I think Miss Iris is right.
    Lovely cupcakes, they look like you are thinking of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loveley stitching. The border on your Santa's list looks very nice. Great cupcakes. I would not enjoy baking while my mother-in-law watched. :) http://astitchersstory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello

    Your BAP is looking great but all those symbols!

    Love your Uber Jack and those fairy cakes look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was one of the world-wide stitcher gasping at your intent to stitch "Santa's List," Christina--but you're doing an amazing job on it!! And with two little ones to care for as well--no wonder you feel as if time is fleeting :)

    Love your Halloween finish and oh, if I only had one of those yummy looking cupcakes right now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah those symbols look too similar to be acceptable! You're doing an incredible job though!

    Love the Halloween finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my that is some color key! I can't even locate the numbers you mentioned. I admire your tenacity because your start on it looks amazing. Hmmm, so do those cupcakes. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, that reminds me of a Paula Vaughan piece that I once stitched many years ago. There were 74 colour symbols and I also had a hard time verifying some of them. I always had to check on the photo of the chart. But after a while I could recognize the slight differences of the respective symbols. But you will see that it's worth it. It's an absolutely beautiful piece that you are doing here and you will be so pleased with it when it's done.
    Very nice Halloween stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gee, they sure didn't make it easy for you did they? No wonder you're so frustrated! Hopefully the frogs will stay away now.

    Congrats on finishing your Uber Jack :o)

    Those cakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Santas list looks nice and I am in love with the Bent Creek pumpkin. Yummy cakes, mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that Santas list would test my patience too much! I'm sending you some good vibes, it will be beautiful when it's finished :-)
    Love Uber Jack :-)
    Those iced feet biscuits are sooooo cute! What a great idea. And I now am hankering after some cake after seeing your little cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes!! That key would do my head in! It will be a masterpiece when completed, though--just keep saying that to yourself! Love that BC pumpkin!

    The cakes look wonderful. Clementine Rose--what a nice name.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christina: Lovely cakes they look yummy, the color chart looks complicated, I have a Santa pattern that calls for similar colors and symbols yuck.
    I do love the Jack in the box he is adorable.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, fractional stitches, back stitching and a bad colour key! Best of luck with your BAP - it is looking absolutely stunning - can't wait to see more progress!

    Cute finish on Jack :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, just to let you know that I gave you a Liebster Award! http://momuboocreaisland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/and-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete