Sunday, 28 November 2010

By Heck, it's Cold!!!

It sure is getting cold round these parts. Luckily we've escaped the snow so far but I fear it's only a matter of time...I hope you're nice and snuggly warm in your part of the World!

After much deliberation on a name, my friend Louise finally decided on 'Emma Louise' for her newborn. As soon as I heard the news, I got stitching furiously! I decided on French Country Baby Carriage by JBW designs. I stitched it using an unknown Anchor thread that was at the bottom of my sewing bag. It doesn't show up well on the photograph at all, it looks a bit washed out, but it's a lot brighter in reality.


French Country Carriage by JBW Designs
32ct Ivory Linen



back view


Please excuse my centering on the back of this, I just don't know what I was thinking. I think I may have centred the date using only one digit for the day, but she was born on the 13th, so that's TWO digits...durh!! I was going to un-pick (my OCD was kicking in) but decided to leave it.

My next finish is for a Christmas present. My friend Yvonne is crazy about hedgehogs, in fact she takes care of sick hedgehogs (or hoggles, as she refers to them) that are brought to her by concerned members of the public. She's also a stitcher - embroidery mostly - so I know she'll appreciate a stitched gift. I received this freebie Prairie Schooler chart when I purchased 'Pumpkin Patch' a few weeks ago. WARNING - another major boo boo coming up...as I was stitching the design, I came to the back stitch part of the chart. Reading the instructions, it said 'use DMC 3371 for the porcupine's head' PORCUPINE????? Aaaaaahhhhhh! What has got into me? Can I blame it on the pregnancy hormones? I then showed it to DH and asked him 'what's this animal?' (he's more than used to my bizarre outbursts/questions) and he said 'hedgehog'. so on that basis, I carried on stitching and I will plead ignorance when Yvonne thanks me for the PORCUPINE pin cushion!!!


Porcupine freebie by Prairie Schooler
32ct natural linen



I'm getting into my stride now with Christmas ornies, well I had to, I've got about 10 to stitch! I've stitched 3 this week (but only managed to finish one...). I think I may continue stitching away on the ornaments and have a finishing afternoon next Sunday. The only problem is, and I hope I'm not the only (selfish) one that thinks this when stitching for others...two of the ornaments I've stitched this week I really don't want to give away! Below are the fruits of my labour.


Rudy by Glory Bee
JCS Ornament Issue 2007
32ct natural linen



Frosty Flakes by LHN
32ct natural linen



Holly Ornament by The Sweetheart Tree
JCS Ornament Issue 2009
32ct dirty linen


I received a beautiful exchange yesterday - it's round 6 of the Blackbird Design Exchange. Fortunately for me, Sheril got my name. I LOVE the pin cushion she sent, it is so me and definitely something I would stitch for myself, although I don't think I'd have the patience to stitch it over one - you must have the patience of a saint Sheril! She included this year's JCS ornament issue, some sz 26 needles, 2 delightful scissor charms and a bag of beads (one can never have too many beads!). She wrote that the design is from Flowers of the Field, although the design and colours have been 'changed a bit'. Thank you so much Sheril - you have spoiled me and I'm thrilled you got my name! I sent my exchange last Tuesday so I've got my fingers crossed it's going to arrive safely.




isn't the colour of the linen beautiful?


Other news from me is that I had my 22 week scan on Thursday. Of course I was extremely nervous about the outcome, as I have been with all scans thus far, but I need not have worried, our little baby is looking very healthy indeed! In fact all measurements were well above average for my estimated due date. I suppose this is to be expected given that my DH is 6'5"!! I won't post my scan pic as it isn't very clear, which is a shame as the scan itself was exceptionally clear. The baby insisted on putting his/her hands on his/her face. We resisted the urge to find out if it's blue or pink - in fact the sonographer said the baby was in an ideal position to find out, but I need a surprise at the end of a hard labour! My sister-in-law is also pregnant and due the same week as us. They had their 22 week scan the same day and found out that they're expecting a girl. (Can you imagine how excited my MIL is, 2 grandchildren in 1 week?!!) In my heart I have a very strong feeling that this is another girl after having 2 girls already and if I'm honest, after losing our baby Martha earlier in the year, I long for the girl I lost. But I know that if this is a baby boy, I'll love him to the moon and back! The only problem is we have a name already in place for a girl, but if baby turns out to be a boy, DH and I cannot agree on a name. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I think the subject of names is a difficult one for me, given that I'm a primary school teacher - there's a lot of name association going on!

Well, I'd better leave it there. I've rabbited on enough. This blogging malarkey seems to take me hours - but I do so enjoy it!

Regards,

Christina

13 comments:

  1. Lovely gifts received and sent. Love your christmas ornaments. Glad everything went okay with your scan. I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina,
    Your stitching is beautiful. You have gotten so much finished.
    Glad to hear that the Dr.s appt. went well.
    Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that your scan showed a healthy (and large!!) baby! My goodness...if your DH is 6'5" you will have some lovely, tall daughters.

    Your ornaments are all so pretty, Christina--good luck on finishing all ten before Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ornaments are absolutely gorgeous Christina! Lovely exchange you received too. That pincushion is beautiful.

    I am so happy to hear that your scan went well and that everything is fine with your baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your ornaments Christina! I am sure your friend will love the hedgehog pincushion you made! Wonderful exchange you received from Sheril!
    I am so happy to hear your scan went well! Yeah!!!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that everything was well on your scan! It's hard to resist the urge to find out pink or blue, but I think the surprise is well worth it too!

    Wonderful stitchy post too :) Gorgeous gifts to be given and received too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful ornaments, all of them! (It definitely looks like a hedgehog to me!) Lovely exchange you received too.

    Glad the scan went well, good luck for the rest of your pregnancy :) DH's 2 cousins (both brothers) recently had babies on the same day (well, their wives did, anyway ;) ) - grandma (DH's aunt) was thrilled to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to hear that your scan showed a healthy baby!!

    Love all of your stitchy goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some beautiful stitching you've got going on there! I can see why you don't want to give them up! (Are they gifts for family/friends?)

    As usual this a great post filled with comment-needing content! I'm so glad everything's going well with your pregnancy progress! Sorry but no helpful Boy names--maybe one will come to me in my sleep. ;)

    It's been getting cold here, too--brrr! It was sleeting for the first time this year on Thanksgiving (Thursday); so I wonder if snow isn't far off for us, either! :/ I'm just NOT that jazzed about Christmas this year; maybe I'll perk up after that exam! Okay, I'm off to line some drawers I've been delaying. Keep up the good work with this blog--I love reading your entries!

    TTYS
    Berit

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! You have a friend who looks after little "hedgies" (my name for them). They are my ultimate favourite too and you can tell that from my blog header. We dont get them here in Australia, we only get echidna's and they are no where near as cute. I was born in the UK and have such fond memories of the cute little critters. I love the pin cushion (I'm soo jealous).
    Hugs
    LISA V

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you've gotten so much finished! I wish I could stitch AND finish as fast!

    I have no idea what a hedgehog looks like! lol

    Congrats on your 22 week scan! I just came back from visiting family. My BIL is 6'6" and my 14 year old nephew is now 6'2"! Yikes...my sister and I are now shorter than the kids. How'd that happen?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post, full of eye candy! :) I love the gifts you've made as well as received. Too funny on the hedgehog pincushion!! It is really cute, and I'm sure your friend will love it. I am disappointed, because in my 7+ years of living in Ireland, I have yet to see a hedgehog!

    Love the name Emma Louise--that's my niece's name, as well as the name of my husband's cousin's child. :)

    I'm so glad the scan went well! Names for a boy... I always go with Irish names, so I'm not much help! I can imagine, being a teacher, how hard it is to come up with a name that you don't associate with a student.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to read that everything went so well with the scan. That must be a big relief.
    You stitched some very nice ornaments.

    ReplyDelete