As I can't post photos of my exchange pieces I will post a pic of a pin keep I stitched for my auntie back in December. I was so thrilled with how it turned out I stitched it again a week later for a friend's sister who was getting married. I added the happy couple's names to the bottom of it and used a yellow star button in place of the stitched star. I will stitch it again this Christmas to hang in our living room.
32 count Dirty Belfast Linen
DMC threads used
DO you find that when you are at your lowest ebb, stitching can soothe your worries in a way that nothing else can? (except perhaps chocolate...) You can forget life's woes as you pass the needle in and out of the fabric. Well, I've been stitching furiously this week as my lovely Nanna died on Tuesday. Her name was Ivy Millicent, although we were never allowed to mention her middle name - she hated it with a passion! Up until last September she had lived very independently, we had to make an appointment if we wanted to go visit! We were convinced she would live to be 100 but she fell short by 4 short years. I know I shouldn't feel so sad for somebody who lived to the grand old age of 96, particularly as she lived life to the full, but I'm heartbroken that I'll never again have a conversation with her, or hear her opinion of the latest venture in my life. She wasn't a stitcher (I learned cross stitch from my paternal grandmother) but she taught me to play cards at a very early age and would let me stay up late to watch snooker with her when she babysat for myself and my sister. Here is a photo of nanna (far right) at my sister's wedding last August. Whenever she attended funerals (and she attended lots...one of the downsides of living to 96 is you outlive many of your friends and family!) she would say 'don't wear black to my funeral, I want my funeral to be a rainbow of colour'. So for her funeral on Friday I will be wearing the brightest outfit I can find.
Hopefully next week I will have some progress photos to share. I'm finding lots of inspiration from the blogs that I am following. I just wish there were more hours in the day to do the projects I want to do! I'm expecting an order from 123stitch.com any day now so I anticipate being VERY busy over the next few weeks!
Regards,
Christina
I'm so sorry about your Nanna, Christina. Mine died last year and I think of her often.
ReplyDeleteLovely finish, I really like that ornament :)
I am so sorry for your loss Christina. I hope that you find comfort in your needle and with happy memories of the times you spent together.
ReplyDeleteI'm exchange stitching at the moment too and I hate not being able to share pics, but having said that I do like the 'big reveal' too :-)
Sending hugs x
Christina, I am so sorry about your nana. I know you must have lots of fond memories. My grandmothers are gone and have been for some time. It's been nearly 20 years for one and I miss her dearly.
ReplyDeleteI am just now getting caught up on blogs as I have been busy with court duty and just life. I had asked about those that wanted me to follow them on their blog and you responded. I am already a follower, genealogrl is me.:) For some reason my email ID shows up instead of my name. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to change it! :)
Sorry you didn't get the BBD chart. But when I am finished with it I would be happy to loan it to you :-)
ReplyDelete