Saturday, 22 May 2010

Big Loft Clearout!

We visited my parents 'up North' last weekend. They are having their loft converted over the summer so I was sent up to sort out my worldly possessions (I moved out 13 years ago but have always kept some belongings there...just in case I ever returned!). "Whatever you leave will go straight to the tip" was shouted up through the loft hatch. The problem is when I start to 'sort out' I get side tracked very easily. Within a few minutes I was looking at photos and taking trips down memory lane. Lurking in the corner was a big pile of framed cross stitches from the early 90s, Oh my, how my tastes have changed! Way back then my cross stitch world revolved around Lavender & Lace and Mirabilia! Below is a selection retrieved from the loft. The first is a design I stitched whilst I was living in the Chicago area in 1995. I wanted to do a patriotic design that would remind me of my time in the States. It was stitched from a book of designs and I can't for the life of me remember the title.


Unknown Design



Damask Roses
Mirabilia




Cross Stitcher's Legacy
Kreative Keepsakes



Enchanted Alphabet
Lavender & Lace


I finally received my order from 123stitch.com. I had to wait several weeks as I'd ordered a piece of copper Lakeside Linen that was out of stock. It's still on back order so they just sent out the remaining items...thank goodness! I LOVE everything that arrived. I'm going to be very good though and not start anything until Mirabilia 'English Roses' is well and truly finished! My 'stash' includes (clockwise from top left) La-D-Da 'Rain Rain', La-D-Da 'Something Wicked', Plum Street Samplers 'Toil & Trouble', La-D-Da 'Gabrielle Rose', Lizzie Kate 'Halloween Holidays with charm', Bent Creek 'Uber Jack', Shepherd's Bush 'Grins of Delight', Lizzie Kate 'Boo'. 2 strands of Gentle Arts Sampler Threads, dark chocolate and black crow. I also ordered a little something for my Summer exchange partner. I hope she likes what I ordered. It's so difficult stitching for someone else, especially when one looks on their blog and finds they have fabulous taste! I've changed my mind several times about what I was going to stitch - She also does beautiful finishes so I've been ever so, ever so careful with my finishing!


Stash Glorious Stash!


I've had a very busy weekend. Mam and dad are visiting us this week to give us a 'kick up the bum' with our decorating. They're helping us decorate the hall, stairs and landing. I'll post before and after pics soon. Mam and I were up at the crack of dawn this morning to go and do a car boot sale in Denham, West London. It's one of the biggest car boot sales in the country. It was a gorgeous morning, I'm so glad I wore sun block...I'd have been burnt to a crisp otherwise! We earned £145 selling junk from our garage. Definitely worth getting out of bed for! I'm going to use the money to buy a sunburst mirror from Laura Ashley for my hall. I've been pining for it for too long now.



Well I'd better leave it there...an early night for me tonight I think, I'm shattered!

Regards,

Christina

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that stash is certainly glorious - I love the Halloween charts! Good for you for not starting something new before finishing 'English Roses' - you are a much better person than I am - I am always starting new things :)

    Enjoy your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christina for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. I look forward to reading your blog and getting to know you!
    I love the stash you found. My favorite is the Lavender and Lace Enchanted Alphabet - that is on my someday to stitch list!

    ReplyDelete