When I discovered that Cathey's latest battle with cancer wasn't going well, I felt, as I'm sure many of you did, totally helpless. I wanted to do something to let her know that, despite being hundreds of miles away, I was thinking of her and willing her to get better. I saw on her wish list that she wanted to stitch Brooke's Book Publishing 'Spring Baby'. I figured that with other things on her mind, she probably hadn't got around to stitching a baby sampler for Junior. So, having never stitched on perforated paper before, I ordered the kit and gave it a go. It took me several weeks as I wasn't really a fan of perforated paper (and I told Cathey as much when I wrote to her!) But finish it I did and got it sent off to Canada at the beginning of September. The post office assured me that it would only take 5 working days. After 2 weeks I emailed Cathey to see if my parcel had arrived yet. Unfortunately it hadn't. :0(. And unfortunately, that was the last email I received from Cathey. I naïvely hadn't realised how close the end was. In that email Cathey had told me that she was pretty much house-bound but wanted to know if I knew the gender of our new arrival as she wanted to buy him/her a gift. Doesn't that just sum Cathey up? I'm so upset with myself that I didn't pull my finger out and get the sampler finished weeks before. I just hope that it did eventually arrive and that Cathey knew how special I thought she was.
Anyway, here are some photos of the sampler. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, even though I turned the air blue when I was stitching it. ;0) I told Cathey that despite extensive research (via Google!) I'm still not sure if Canadians write the date, day, month, year - as we do in the UK - or if they use the American format. Anyway, I erred on the side of caution and went with the American way.
Anyway, I'll leave it there. As the title suggests, Cathey - I will miss your blog posts, your emails, your updates about Junior, but most of all I will miss you.
I will be back soon with an update of the latest exchange I participated in (it was a good one!) and hopefully, news of our latest addition! I'm 4 days overdue and beginning to think it's NEVER going to happen!
Regards,
Christina








Oh that is as cute as can be. I am sure Cathey is smiling down at all of us, peeking at our stitching. I hope all goes well with the new addition. You will have to let us know when the big day is here. :o)
ReplyDeleteohhh bless that was a lovely wee gift for JR ... it did take ages to get post to them so it should have arrived not long after I would have thought ,..... Hope all goes well with the new munchin and don't for get to let us know all is well :) love mouse xxxxx
ReplyDeleteA gorgeous gift for Junior. Good luck with the new baby.
ReplyDeleteOh Christina what a lovely thing to have done for her and if it didn't arrive at its destination she knew you had stitched it for her and thats lovely. It is beautiful and such a thoughtful thing to do. Perhaps you could e-mail her friend Katie who could ask her DH for you. Good luck with your new baby - thinking of you xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous gift for Junior. I am sure it will be a treasured gift and a reminder of how much his Mum was treasured in the stitching blogging community.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the new baby. Be sure to let us all know when you can all about him or her
What a sweet blogpost! I never followed Cathey's blog but with all the blogposts about her on other stitchers' blogs I felt so sad too. To make your sadness less know that this same thing happened to me. I had a pen pal and she loved pigs. So I found this little cross stitch pig fridge magnet and made it for her. It took me some time to post it and when I suddenly received an e-mail by an unknown lady telling me that my friend had passed away(she had health problems) and that this lady was her daughter-in-law and that she would be sending the magnet back I was devastated. Anyway hope your labour comes soon and that everything goes well!AriadnefromGreece!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful gift for Junior , Cathey will know how much you love her.
ReplyDeleteAll the best wishes for you and your family with the new baby, hugs.
What a gorgeous sampler! You should be so proud of that. I didn't know Cathey but I am sure she would have really appreciated just knowing you had stitched a sampler for her son and it was on the way to her.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your new bub when he/she arrives!
Christina: What a lovely tribute to Cathey, thank-you for reminding us of what a beautiful Lady she is.
ReplyDeleteI am sure she is in Heaven and pain free,we too had many letters back and forth, I love emailing her, she was so positive about life.
Brookes Books has so many cute things to stitch and this one is a real winner.
Let us know as soon as possible when Baby comes.
Hugs
Catherine
What a beautiful post, sentiment and person you are. We all were shocked and deeply saddened a we we read about Cathey progress and eventual passing but unlike you i just sat here feeling so bad for her and her family. Thank you for what you did. It is beautiful work. Bless you!
ReplyDeleteOh Christina. Like you I am still devastated by Cathey's loss. What a wonderful project you made for Junior. I hope that your new addition arrives soon and easily. Keeping you in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
What a beautiful gift for Cathey. What a heartbreaking story. I hope she received your gift before her passing
ReplyDeleteA very beautiful gift indeed!!! Good luck with your new arrival!!! Wishing you a healthy & "speedy" delivery :) I will be thinking of you xxx
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous birth sampler for Junior. How very, very wonderful of you. God bless you and keep you at this most exciting time!! Take very, very good care now.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet gift for little Junior, Christina... I, too, hope Cathey received it. I still think of, and miss her, each and every day...
ReplyDeleteI do hope your new little one arrives quickly (sorry the hoped for Halloween delivery didn't occur!!)... Please let us know when you deliver your sweet baby!
I've been thinking of you quite often lately--I've some things I need to send you! (Some of them are actually yours already--a.k.a. BBD Charts--and others are little things I hope you'll like!)
ReplyDeleteA new baby; I didn't even know! So happy for you, and will wait to hear good news. :D
I didn't know Cathey, but what a sweet project you stitched for her; it looks WONDERFUL! I like those Brooke's Books projects, but all that perforated paper looks daunting. I'm sure she was so happy looking out for a special package from you in the mail even if it arrived later than hoped! Isn't knowing something wonderful is coming great (especially if it is a surprise!)
A sweet post about Cathey...we all miss her...your gift is lovely and I am sure she is smiling down at all of us.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes on the arrival of your newest!
OH Christina, that was such a lovely gift for Junior. And a wonderful post about Cathey. She is in so many stitchers' mind.
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the best for the arrival of the new family member.
What a beautiful gift for Junior.
ReplyDeleteAll the best for the new arrival - will look forward to hearing all about your new bundle of joy.
I couldn't respond to this when you posted - I was just way too emotional. What a beautiful gift you gave, and I so hope Cathey was able to receive it herself. But regardless of that, what a wonderful gift you gave Cathey's DH & Junior... a true testament of how much their wife & mother meant to her stitching friends!
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely baby sampler.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post...I miss Cathey so much.
This piece came out just amazing. I hope she got it. I remember when that happened. I didn't know her personally but said a prayer when I found out.
ReplyDelete