Sunday, 13 February 2011

Ruched Ribbon Returns!

As the title suggests I have at last made my peace with ruching ribbon! It's still not the easiest (or quickest) of finishes for me but I really like how it looks once I'm done. My latest 'ruching' episode was for a birth announcement ornie. My sister's best friend Laura had a baby girl last month. She's such a lovely person I couldn't resist putting 'Spirit of Christmas' down for a couple of evenings to get this done. I used Lizzie Kate's Baby Sampler with my own choice of DMC threads. This wasn't intentional, but my DD decided to stick Peppa Pig stickers on the key of the chart and when I peeled them off, half the chart came too!





'Baby Sampler' #115 by Lizzie Kate
32ct Ivory Linen


Harriet is such a lovely name and they've already shortened it to Hatty which is so cute. Luckily it wasn't on our list of girls names!

Feb 1st was the posting date for the latest Seasonal Exchange round. I got to stitch for Michele which I was really pleased about as I was already a follower of her fantastic blog. She sent me a lovely email yesterday to thank me for the ornie that I sent her. Sigh of relief, another parcel reaches its destination in one piece and the recipient likes it!


'Holly House' by Elizabeth Designs
JCS Christmas Issue 2008


In my last post I mentioned my quest to find 'Santa's List' by Cross Stitch & Country Crafts. I managed to trace a book on Amazon that has 101 CS&CC designs including Santa's List - hoorah! It only cost £4.50 inc postage...bargain!
But take a look at the chart...wowzers, it's going to be a killer. I counted over 70 DMC colours. The chart is tiny so I'm going to have to try to make an enlarged working copy. Do coloured charts copy well? I've never tried it before. I'm also going to change the names on the list to match those in my family. I love how I get these fancy schmancy ideas, like it's going to be so easy to do!




YIKES!!


Below is my progress on L&L 'Spirit of Christmas'. I'm definitely on track to get this finished by October 30th (uh oh, famous last words). I'm really enjoying stitching it, although the million shades of white, cream, light grey on the trim of his coat were a bit of a nightmare, especially in false lighting. How am I going to give this one away? It's a good job I'm really fond of my Aunty Margaret or Santa would definitely be staying with me!


'Spirit of Christmas'
13th February 2011


I'll leave it there for now. I do have a couple of Christmas finishes to show but I'll save those for next time. I'm going to have a wee snooze on the sofa for half an hour or so. My friend and I took Iris on a walk by the Thames this morning so she could feed the swans and it's left me shattered! Only 7ish weeks to go...how will I cope with 2 munchkins to look after?!!!

Regards,

Christina

18 comments:

  1. Your baby sampler looks great. The ribbon adds such a nice touch. Wow! Spirit of Christmas is gorgeous already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baby sampler is stunning. I love how you have finished it. Lovely progress on your santa. Glad you were able to locate Santas list. Lovely exchange sent to Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful progress on Spirit of Christmas, Christina, it looks fabulous!

    That's a sweet finish for your friend's baby and such a pretty name :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling finish! The colours look great.

    Santa looks amazing. The red is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your birth ornament is beautiful. What a wonderful gift. I love the ruched ribbon although I don't think I would ever try that.
    Your Santa is simply stunning. What a wonderful gift that will be!
    I am glad you found the design you were looking for. It is beautiful and will be more special with your family names on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG only 7 more weeks!? Gosh, time does FLY! :o

    The ruched finish looks great, but I think I prefer the Elizabeth Designs house. ;)

    Santa is looking amazing, and I think you can certainly keep up with the list project if you're able to handle something like Aunt M's Santa!

    I totally agree that Hatty is a darling name. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baby Hattys sampler is just beautiful Christina. I love the idea of putting the date and weight on the reverse. Your Ornie for Michele is really pretty too.
    Wow Santa looks wonderful, he is going to be hard to part with but I;m sure your aunt will treasure him.
    So pleased to hear you managed to track down your Santa and what a great price.
    Take care, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finishes!
    Good luck on the Santa chart, thats a whopper!
    Hugs
    LISA V

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you've been busy! Love the birth sampler and the ruched detailing. Cute ornie for Michelle as well. I am surprised you are so far along on the L&L. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your ruched ribbon looks great! Love the finished piece. Your ornament for the exchange is lovely too. Good luck stitching the Santa, he will be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the baby sampler for your friend. It's so sweet.

    The ornament you stitched for Michele is gorgeous.

    Lovely progress on Spirit of Christmas. You'll have him done in no time.

    Glad you managed to locate the other Father Christmas. He's amazing. I think I have or had that book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christina: Beautiful finishes I love the baby sampler oh so cute the book you got is one of my favs I find such fun patterns in that book they are hard to come by lucky you for finding it.
    I hope all is well with you and your family.
    Happy Valentines Day to you.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the rushed finish! Your stitching on Spirit of Christmas is beautiful - you'll have him done in no time! Good luck with Santa's list - also a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finishes and WIP's! I love the baby gift, it would be perfect for my friend when she has her baby :)

    I don't know how you'll ever part with that santa! He's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love your ruched ribbon finish, Christina--I need to figure that one out for myself! I'm sure your friend will treasure Harriet's little gift...

    What a gorgeous Santa, too--he looks like a lot of work, but I know your Aunt will be so appreciative :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful finishes!

    Great progress on your santa. I've wanted to do that one for awhile--your kids will love seeing it come out each year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, a half hour snooze - how tempting is that? Love all your stitching. Ribbon ruching is still a challenge I need to meet, but having seen how beautiful yours looks I really should try. Love Irene xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both ornaments look so nice. And you made some considerable progress on your Santa piece.
    Santa's List is a great project and all the colours will make it stand out.

    ReplyDelete